I didn’t like how the plates turned out after the first firing, so I have added a bottom layer of white glass and a top layer of powder which includes some transparent oranges, marine blues and sea greens. the white powder is opaque..so I am a little nervous about that and I may have too many layers going on at once, increasing the risk of bubbles or cracking. Letting the kiln work it’s magic!
Painting is about adjusting and readjusting.
Before I do anything else, I must adjust the value planes. The ground planes should come close in value to the sky and each mass of cliffs need to get lighter, cooler, and softer as they it recedes. I also don’t like the regularity of the left side diagonals. They need more variety. Colors are currently muted but will get stronger as I build layers.
I am somewhat disappointed on the way the glass for these plates turned out for several reasons. The blue is not varied as I had planned. The black and “river” is too dark, and most of all the yellows and greens that I had added for subtle contrast disappeared in the firing. So…. some thought and reworking is in order. I will add another decorative layer and re-fire to get a cohesive design.
The 19″ Glass bowls turned out great! The bases for them are ready for the kiln…just needing to make more pieces to fill it.
Below is a 4’x6′ oil painting I started of Yellowstone Falls. (partial view). I blocked in lights and dark using warm versus cool colors. I am a little hesitant sharing the painting at this stage because I have a habit of experimenting to the point of disaster. Hopefully this painting will go smoothly. I’ll keep you posted!